Friday, September 2, 2011

Sketching Tips

I came across this website with what I found to be some helpful sketching tips, especially for the outdoors drawings we have been doing.

Under the "What Shall I Sketch" section I liked the idea of using a view finder to choose your frame. In my art class in high school we used this technique for drawing a still life and I found it very useful. I always find it difficult to focus just on what you want to draw and the view finder can really help.

In the "Drawing Ideas" section, using reference points seems like a good way to make sure that the whole scene fits on your paper and you don't end up leaving parts out or having to squish your drawing. This page also talks about the technique we used in class of holding your paper up and drawing the image the same size on your paper.

I also found the "Tonal Values" part helpful as it emphasizes the importance of using different tones and a wide variation of contrasting tones to enhance your sketches.

1 comment:

  1. This website is very helpful. It breaks down the aspects of sketching taking you back to the basics like we have been doing in class.

    ReplyDelete