Sunday, September 4, 2011

Perspective

After drawing many sketches, I've learned that perspectiveis an important aspect of a sketch. It gives it a more realistic feel to the sketch instead of the flat 2D feeling. Personally, achieving perspective is the hardest aspect to do. There is only so much to learn like using helpful guide lines and understanding depth but each drawing and each frame varies in their own way and I've learned that practice is the best solution. At first, I thought drawing in proportion to show perspective was the only problem but then I realize that the wrong shading can throw off the perspective also. It is challenging, but I feel like it would be a useful trait to learn. I looked up some examples of drawings with perspective.
This one is cool because he's using the medium of the reflective sphere to draw that sketch. I just like the image itself because there are no ways to capture this image simply. It'll require time like drawing it out. Taking a photo would require photoshop to delete out the camera. Both perspective and the image itself drew me to it.
I like this one because it's a simple building with many straight edge lines but I like the angle it is drawn. Just the angle itself gives it a more complex, dramatic feeling. With an unusual angle, a lot of the angles of the lines and proportions also change.
These drawings are by M.C. Escher. I've seen a lot of his work around but never knew it was from the same person. I like his work a lot from looking through his gallery! Analyzing them trains my mind to think more visually. Sketching to a beginner requires a lot of thinking! But to every beginner in everything, like playing a new sport or reading, it's not natural yet and it take a lot of conscious thinking but with lots of practice, hopefully it'll become more automatic!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that perspective is probably one of the most important (and also hardest!) parts of a sketch. Having the perspective just a little "off" can make the whole drawing look wrong. I really like the first sketch with the room in the reflection. It really opens my mind to a new way of creating an interesting composition for a sketch.

    ReplyDelete