Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sketching - a matter of opinion


For one reason or another, I have never been the type of designer or artist who utilizes sketching to its fullest potential. But I guess that really depends on what you define as "sketching". I do quickly lay out my ideas with a paper and pencil, but I really don't use the traditional sketching style. I prefer smooth, single lines as apposed to the rough, layered look of traditional sketching. Some may argue that layering and the use of smaller lines allows us to depict a more precise version of what we want to portray, but I believe the same can be achieved with deliberate, single strokes.







2 comments:

  1. I think both types of sketching have their advantages but sketching with bold lines would portray a sense of confidence in the direction the drawing is taking and doesn't leave room for misperception or lack of clarity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book I was looking at in the library today was talking about these 2 types of sketching and actually said that using single lines instead of layering smaller lines makes a drawing look more precise and less unsure that the stuttered lines. Like Rachel said, single lines definitely give a sketch more of a feeling of confidence.

    ReplyDelete