Sunday, August 28, 2011

First Post: Why Architecture?

During the summer of 2010, I decided to explore architecture through a process of elimination, considering other professional fields that I declined with thought. I took on an internship at Mark G. Anderson Consultants to acquire as much knowledge as I could about architecture. MGAC is an independent professional project manager that offers design and construction expertise. I chose to intern here rather than at an architecture firm because I wanted to learn about the non-design aspects of architecture.

There, I was mentored by the vice presidents of the company (who are both practicing and non-practicing architects). I was able to see how the law and the surrounding environment influence design, and also witnessed some of the path-altering obstacles that they, as architects, encounter when designing. Under the instruction of some of the executives of the company, I began looking at architectural publications to enhance my knowledge of the field. By gaining a greater knowledge of how architects approach certain projects, I decided that architecture suited my mind set, and focused on getting into this program.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any images of projects that were worked on while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, no. But here is their website
    http://www.mgac.com/ I don't think you can get much from it, but I have some things I could scan and upload that would be better.

    ReplyDelete