Wednesday, December 21, 2011

9/11 Memorial

This past weekend my family and I went to New York City. We visited the 9/11 Memorial and I found the design of the memorial very interesting and creative. The memorial consists of two large waterfalls leading into reflecting pools which are located where the towers once stood. On the panels around the pools are the names of every person who died in the 2001 and 1993 attacks. A variety of trees surround the pools. When I got home I looked up the design of the memorial on their website and discovered that it was chosen from an international design competition consisting of 5,201 submissions. The website shows what the finished memorial is supposed to look like and it was neat to compare with what it looks like while it is still in the process of being built. I found that the memorial is very environmentally friendly as well. The website also says that "its design conveys a spirit of hope and renewal, and creates a contemplative space separate from the usual sights and sounds of a bustling metropolis" which is a feeling I really got when at the memorial. Overall I think the design is a very successful way to commemorate such a significant tragedy and to remember all of those who gave their lives to help our country. Here are some pictures I took while at the memorial:

1 comment:

  1. I have not seen this site since the memorial was finished, I am so glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete