Friday, October 21, 2011

Materials and Processes

Course selection always seems to be a time-consuming, tedious task, even for my friends who have been here for years. It always helps to hear suggestions from those who have taken particular courses, whether it be for another major, a minor, CLEs, or electives. Prior to entering the College of Architecture and Urban Studies, I minored and Industrial Design and was able to take some ID courses before it became my major.
The one course I would recommend to any architecture and design student is Materials and Processes (IDS 2034) with Ed Dorsa. It is the best course I have taken at Virginia Tech, thus far. Ed does an amazing job explaining the stages an idea must endure to become a physical product. He also speaks in great detail about the qualities of materials used in design. This is useful when determining which material is the best option for a project or idea.
IDS 2034 is a requirement for both Industrial Design majors and minors. Even if you're not planning on formally taking ID, I think it's a good idea to take the class. It's 3 credits and definitely worth your time. It will only enhance your future projects by bettering your knowledge in these major the design field.
The book for the class is one of the few I have actually kept following the course. It's called
Materials and Design. It sits on my desk, so feel free to take a look through it.

IDS 2034 is only available in the Spring semesters.

No comments:

Post a Comment