Thursday, April 5, 2012

Charlotte

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought it was nice getting off campus for the day yesterday. Charlotte has a nice atmosphere to it. Its a lot bigger than I was expecting and it was interesting how all of the museums were right there together in that block (interesting to see how they complimented each other). My group toured the Bechtler and during some of our free time we walked through the Mint Museum. Some of the interior design and architecture of the Bechtler was more interesting to me than the actual art itself. The fact that natural light was so emphasized in a space that contains things so sensitive to light was interesting, along with the repeated square module and how the windows framed pieces of art in neighboring showrooms. As far as the Mint Museum goes, I was very intrigued by the Fantasy exhibition (especially the trees made of pipes)!! I'm usually fascinated by mixed media art on a human scale. It was interesting to me to compare some of the works that I felt like I really appreciated versus those I didn't understand either due to their over-simplicity or their obscurity. Overall Charlotte just has a much more business oriented/bustling city personality than I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment